Housing, schools and landscaping carried out by Quakers Ironmasters.
The company lso provided food at costprice in times of shortages
GRID REF: SJ658034
REF: Quakers in Science and Industry
"Garden Village" built to house miners by theThe Billingsley
Colliery Company at the north of Highley. Shops, pubs, a chapel and
a cinema followed the houses.
1942 - 1960
Farm bought by the Bruderhof for their English members when the main
German group went to Paraguay. Served as a refuge for pacifists and
had grown to 200 members by 1950.
GRID REF: Lower Bromden,nr Ludlow
REF: Utopian England/ Bruderhof